COURSE A – 2018: Harnessing The Creative Juices
- This is a workshop for experienced actors and directors.
- Text work will concentrate on contemporary British writers.
“Without Wonder and Insight the theatre is just a business, with it, it becomes creation”
In a supportive and challenging environment, the course will seek to nourish the imagination, encourage spontaneity and unleash the artist’s creative spirit.
This is a workshop for experienced actors and directors. Sessions will look at the variety of ingredients that the actor/director needs to make the creative cake, be it directing a piece or performing in it.
Classes will look at finding inspiration and fuelling the imagination through a variety of processes Participants will:
- Work on Theatre Games and exercises designed to encourage spontaneity and “thinking outside of the box.”
- Explore the actor/director’s creative and intellectual response to the material
- Experiment with montage, tableaux and image
- Experience working with a range of stage configurations and locations
- Work with a variety of texts and improvisations as actor and director
Music, sound and garments play an important role in the creative process. Participants should bring simple “jumble sale” garments, hats, scarves gloves etc. A significant object, e.g. a ring, a letter or anything that carries meaning for the individual and a selection of CDs in different musical forms.
Text work will concentrate on contemporary British writers – including Caryl Churchill, Richard Bean, Simon Stephens and many others. Previous participants will find something familiar and much that is new.
Come prepared to sweat a little, laugh a lot, expect the unexpected and have fun!