StageWorks Annual Drama Summer course is for adults of all ages with interests in acting, directing and drama and theatre in general, including musical theatre. It is suitable for those with experience and beginners.
StageWorks Drama Summer School was established in 1995 by Eamonn and
Freda O’Donoghue and was run at Gormanston College until 2017. The event enjoyed huge success annually and attracted participants from all parts of Ireland and many from overseas.
However due to infrastructure and other changes at Gormanston it was deemed best to move the event to another location which would provide the most appropriate type of accommodation and work spaces. This course of action was necessary in order for the summer school to progress and flourish into the future. Having successfully relocated to Athlone in 2018 we are pleased to be able to continue in Athlone Institute of Technology. We are particularly pleased that Shane Farrell who has such an outstanding reputation both as an musical Director, teacher and arts administrator will be our new course director. We wish him well and he is assured of our full support and assistance with all aspects of the summer school.
– Eamonn and Freda.
Here’s what you can continue to expect from your week at StageWorks:
- National and International tutors with many years experience throughout Europe. Some tutors will be returning to StageWorks, ensuring the continuity of our course quality and approach.
- Approximately 35 hours of tuition. This is the equivalent of almost a semester of tuition.
- Quality accommodation. This year’s accommodation is Goldcrest Village, is located on the NUI Galway campus (beside Corrib Village) and consists of 76 non-smoking apartments.
- We will be running fun-filled social evenings during the week such as table quizzes, fancy dress, discos, etc…
- All course attendees will get the opportunity to try a session of all other courses. Re-introduced in 2017, these “taster” workshops are a great eyeopener to other areas of what StageWorks offers.
- 3 Meals and coffee breaks are included in the course fee.
- At the end of the week, some of the courses will present parts of their work or a taster of the work they have done over the week. This is always a highly enjoyable presentation.
Shane is the new course director for StageWorks and the StageWise Annual Drama Summer School (the baby brother of StageWorks). Shane has many years of experience of teaching and working in musical theatre and is in much demand throughout Ireland. He is very excited about taking on this role and we are very happy to have Shane; we know StageWorks is in safe hands.
Eamonn has a background in educational management and also many years of involvement in theatre, He has many award winning stage productions to his credit as a director and in addition many years experience in theatre training, adjudication and playwriting.
He has embarked on theatre initiatives such as Stagewise, Stageworks, and Acorn Theatre Co. Currently he is studying at NUIG for PhD in Theatre studies and playwriting.
Freda has a background in theatre administration. She also had a distinguished involvement in managing and promoting initiatives such as Stagewise, Stageworks and Acorn Theatre Co. and was also co-founder and chief administrator of all three.
The team also works with StageWise, the Annual Performing Arts Camp for Teens, a sister company of StageWorks Annual Drama Summer School.